Chicken Parm Soup Recipe
Hello friends, welcome to Smooth Recipe. Today we are going to make Chicken Parm Soup.
This Chicken Parm Soup is basically deconstructed chicken parm in a bowl. Big chunks of the chicken in a very rich tomato soup with the lovely pasta of your choice and p-l-e-n-t-y of gooey mozzarella cheese and Parm. Oh, my mouth is filled with water by telling this only.
It has s been a little while since I last shared any soup recipe with you at my website Smooth Recipe, but I think this wait has been worth it because recipe of today’s soup is total comfort food which everyone would love to eat, and the name of the recipe is Chicken Parm Soup.
This soup is extremely warming and delicious, and also, it could not be easier to make.
Chicken Parm Soup
I wrote this recipe for you to use leftover cooked chicken, so you can also use leftover chicken you have in your hand or grab a rotisserie chicken from the nearby store and use the lovely white meat from that (you can save the drumsticks and thighs to take for lunches and the carcass to make soup!).
Since you are starting this recipe with cooked chicken, so, this soup comes together with super quick and easy in one normal pot with minimal fuss.
No Cooked Chicken? No Problem At All:
Friends, if you do not have cooked chicken at home to start with, do not worry at all. I have included instructions for cooking by your own in the recipe notes, and it will take only couple of minutes to the overall Chicken Parm Soup cooking time.
What to Serve With Chicken Parm Soup?
A classic green salad is always my good option with chicken parm soup. If you want, you can also add Roasted Green Beans or/and Roasted Broccoli. You can also add some toasty garlic bread, and you’re set make, serving and eat.
Recipe Notes For Chicken Parm Soup
You need crushed tomatoes for this recipe, but you can also use canned diced tomatoes if you do not mind a chunkier soup. To use canned whole tomatoes puree, lightly puree them with an immersion blender or chop them before by using hand.
Ingredients for Chicken Parm Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons (around 35g) tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth (2 14.5-ounce cans)
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (14-ounce)*
- 4 ounces penne or favorite pasta for soup (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced, white or dark meat (as per your choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parm (2oz)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella divided (4oz)
- Salt and pepper as per your taste
Instructions for Chicken Parm Soup
- In a large pot with a lid, you need to heat oil over medium heat. Then add onions and cook until they start to soften and turn translucent around the edges about 5-6 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until garlic begins to turn golden in color and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook by watching it closely, until the paste starts to stick and caramelize on the bottom of the pan, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth & crushed tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pot as you can go making sure to dislodge any cooked-on bits.
- Cover and bring to a simmer and adjusting heat as necessary. Simmer for 8-9 minutes. Add basil, pasta, and oregano, and cook, covered, until the pasta is al dente, 10- 12 minutes.
- Stir in parm and cooked chicken and heat until chicken is warmed through and parm is melted well.
- Add salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with 1/4th cup of mozzarella cheese. Now, serve and enjoy!!