Rich and Simple French Onion Soup
Welcome to Smooth Recipe. Today we are going to make French Onion Soup.
We have been consuming French onion soup in restaurants or hotels for years me and my family and friends are agree on it that no one can compare to my recipe for this French onion soup’s taste and simplicity of preparation.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients for French Onion Soup
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of sliced onions
- 4 (10.5 ounce) cans of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 4 slices of French bread
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 slices of diced Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper as per your taste
How to Make French Onion Soup
- First of all, melt the butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium-low heat. Add onions and continually stir until it tender and translucent. Do not brown onions.
- Now add beef broth, thyme, and sherry. Season with salt & pepper, and simmer for 28-30 minutes.
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Ladle soup into the oven safe serving bowls & place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into the pieces if you prefer).
- Now layer each slice of the bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss & 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- After that place bowls on cookie sheet & broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles & browns slightly in color.
Nutritional Information for French Onion Soup
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories: 585.3
% Daily Value *
- Protein: 20.8g 42 %
- Carbohydrates: 27.8g 9 %
- Exchange other carbs: 3
- Dietary fiber: 2.8g 11 %
- Sugars: 5g
- Fat: 43.8g 68 %
- Saturated fat: 24.4g 121 %
- Cholesterol: 99mg 33 %
- Vitamin a iu: 1112.3IU 22 %
- Niacin equivalents: 7.2mg 56 %
- Vitamin b6: 0.3mg 15 %
- Vitamin c: 8.5mg 15 %
- Folate: 70.6mcg 18 %
- Calcium: 451.2mg 45 %
- Iron: 2.4mg 12 %
- Magnesium: 40mg 15 %
- Potassium: 431.2mg 12 %
- Sodium: 1577.3mg 63 %
- Thiamin: 0.3mg 21 %
- Calories from fat: 394.4
- Percent of calories from carbs: 17
- Percent of calories from fat: 66
- Percentage of calories from protein: 14
- Percent of calories from sat fat: 35
You can also search our article with below given keywords –
classic french onion soup recipe, best french onion soup recipe, quick french onion soup, french onion soup secret ingredient, french onion soup for two, classic french onion soup recipe food network, substitute for wine in french onion soup, french onion-soup recipe julia child
Click on the below links to check our other recipes –
Cake Recipe | Asparagus Recipe | Burrito Recipe | Smoothie recipe | Tiramisu Recipe | Zucchini Recipe | Pasta Recipe | Pie Recipe | Shake Recipe | Casserole Recipe | Frittata Recipe | Strata Recipe | Spaghetti Recipe | Parmigiana Recipe | Biryani Recipe | Eggs Recipe | Quesadilla Recipe | Risotto Recipe